Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How are juicing calories counted?

First, let me start with saying I am obviously not a doctor, health expert, nutritionist, or anything even close. I am just a almost 30 something mom who is trying to get more healthy. That being said I have been wondering how the calories work when you juice, so of course, I googled it.  Got the info from ehow.com,.

Basically,

Every gram of fiber has 4 calories. When you juice, you are not getting any of the regular fiber of the fruit or vegetable so you must subtract the fiber calories to get an accurate count. So, take an apple for example.

One large apple has 130 calories and 5 grams of fiber
Multiply 5g of fiber x 4 = 20
Subtract 20 from the total 130 calories = 110
So if you juice an apple you would be drinking 110 calories
Make sense?

Ok, so with that in mind let's look at my favorite drink:

Suzi's Apple Green Lemonade ( the reboot recipe but I added an apple, less celery and more kale)

1 green apple 110 cals
1 Braeburn apple 110 cals

3 handfuls of spinach 70 cals
3 handfuls of kale 75 cals
1/2 cucumber 10 cals
3 celery stalks 5 cals
1/2 lemon 5 cals

I rounded and approximated but my favorite drink would be about 385 calories!

So if you are questioning how much I am eating per day, just 3 drinks would be about 900-1200 calories depending on how much fruit I have in them. And this also makes sense why you should make sure you are having more veggies than fruits. 


Nutritional values and photo from http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org I found this site really easy to use and if you just add a backslash and a fruit or veggie, the nutritional information comes up. You can find kale at  http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/kale



No comments:

Post a Comment